Bookbesties's Reviews > From Blood and Ash

From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout

In this exciting new novel by Jennifer L. Armentrout, she introduces a fantastical world filled with immense detail, and characters who are poignant and fierce, Jennifer truly has out done herself!
I have been a long time avid reader of Jennifer and I can say that as her debut high fantasy novel she KILLED IT! Whenever I see ‘high fantasy’ I don’t really know what to expect because it’s always the authors take on what high fantasy is to them and you just never know. Poppy has been hidden away her whole life, and has a duty to her people and kingdom but has always longed for more…more than just sitting in her room, more than just the few people who are allowed to speak to her and def more than no one ever looking at her fully without her veil in place. And that longing only grew since Hawke came to the castle. There is much that Poppy is unsure of, so question, but the one thing she does know is that she is drawn to Hawke and she is not sure why. But then things start to happen and Poppy’s world is turned on its axes leaving her with even more questions and uncertainties.
This story gripped me from the beginning to end. This is a different take on Vampires and I loved every second of this high paced, fun witty and surprising plot twisting story.
As always Jennifer has a way with making readers fall in love with her Hero’s and Hawke is no exception…..
“With my sword and with my life, I vow to keep you safe, Penellaphe… from this moment until the last moment, I am yours.”

That’s not to say that her Heroien is anything less than amazing..Poppy is strong minded and an all around BAD A!
This book is at my top read for 2020 and Jennifer captured perfectly all the aspects of a first book in a series to keep you wanting more. Action, suspense comedy and romance. I can’t wait to see where this world and these characters lead us next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Blood and Ash.

January 31, 2020 – Started Reading