Katie Conigliaro's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Michael  Grant

May 07, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-reading-challenge

Direct from my blog: http://thefictiondiaries.com

I had wanted to read this book for quite awhile. The only reason I didn't read it until now is I accidentally read the synopsis for Lies (book 3) not knowing it was a part of a series so I had to wait until I forgot about what that ruined for me (I think it had something to do with someone dying but I can't remember, shhhh!)

Overall I have to say I was pretty disappointed, even more so because of how long this book had been on my to-read list. Don't get me wrong, the book was okay, it just was not as gripping as I had hoped it would be.

The book took a really long time to really pull me in. Like 380 pages. That's not to say I wasn't interested throughout the rest of the book, but I didn't have that burning need to read it and find out what happens. I was curious to know, but not desperate.

I think the biggest issue I had with the book was how many characters there were to keep track of. I'm a Tolkien fan so I am no stranger to head-jumping in novels, but it was a little overwhelming in this book. Head-jumping can be a great way to tell a story, getting all the different viewpoints and knowing what's going on with everyone can be a good way to pull a reader in, but first you have to make your reader care about all the characters you are focusing on. If I can't form a connection with a character then I'm not going to care about what's going on with them, I'm just going to push through their chapters hoping the book switches back to someone more interesting. With Gone there were so many characters it was impossible to get close enough to all of them for the head-jumping to be effective. It just became a lot to follow, especially when what was happening to all the characters didn't connect for 200 some pages.

I will say that there were a few scenes, mostly towards the end, that had me hooked; I could not put the book down for the last few scenes, hence why I finished it at 3am. I just would have liked more of the book to have that effect on me.

To wrap up, I'm not going to rush out and buy the next book; I simply do not have that burning need to know what happens next. I do, however, plan on adding the next book to my list of books to-read.

If this book is on your to-read list or the synopsis sounds interesting to you, I would definitely recommend you try it for yourself. The story concept itself is really interesting, the way it was executed just didn't quite work for me. There are tons of people on Goodreads who disagree with me and absolutely loved it; I think this is just a book you either love or you don't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

May 7, 2012 – Started Reading
May 7, 2012 – Shelved
May 7, 2012 –
page 238
42.5% "Not sure about the head-jumping. Still waiting for something to drag me in."
May 7, 2012 –
page 315
May 8, 2012 –
page 419
May 8, 2012 –
page 419
74.82% "Okay...380 pages in and you finally have my attention"
May 9, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 10, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-reading-challenge

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Yup, I pretty much had the same feelings about it ... It was just a big disappointment. It was on my to-read list for a while and I was hearing such good things about it ... and then it was just "ehhhh." The head-hopping was definitely one of the major problems. There were so many characters, and none of them were developed thoroughly enough that I could sympathize much with any of them. Plus the awkward pacing and the choppy writing ... I read the whole thing, but I just never got into it.

Katie Conigliaro Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Yup, I pretty much had the same feelings about it ... It was just a big disappointment. It was on my to-read list for a while and I was hearing such good things about it ... and then it was just "e..."

*SPOILERS*

Yeah, it got my attention a bit when they recorded Andrew's "poof". And the last scene where it only focused on Sam I really liked. But overall, it just didn't grab me that way I wanted it to.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Yeah ... it got a bit more interesting towards the end, but over all it just wasn't too gripping for me, either. I never bothered to read the rest of them. :P

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

While I've enjoyed the series thus far, I can definitely see your point. The future books had some disappointing moments, there were intriguing side plots and supporting characters. Brianna and Diana remain my two favorites.

Also, hey Brigid. Long time, no see =)

Katie Conigliaro Sagaciously wrote: "While I've enjoyed the series thus far, I can definitely see your point. The future books had some disappointing moments, there were intriguing side plots and supporting characters. Brianna and Dia..."

I will admit I do enjoy Diana lol.
I will probably read the rest of the series at some point (or at least give the next book a try) but I have so many other books that I really really want to read right now that I just don't have the urge to go get it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I know what you mean. I'd love to go out and buy Fear (the latest book in the series) but there are other books awaiting my attention. I'd suggest waiting until the release for Light, the series conclusion.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Hey Sagaciously! Haha yeah, it has been a while.