Tatiana's Reviews > Someone Like You

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

May 07, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult

I don’t have a best friend. Sure I have friends. Friendly acquaintances, plenty. But not a best friend like the way Halley has Scarlett, or Scarlett has Halley in Sarah Dessen’s Someone Like You. So I spent the 24-hours it took me to down this novel (seriously need to find something to do this summer) being just slightly envious of fictional characters.

Even if they are going through a tumultuous period wherein Halley, like the comet, is experiencing all the pleasure and punishment of first love and a new, growing riff with her mother, while Scarlett is dealing with the death of her first, brief love and the unexpected pregnancy that results, they have each other to hold on to and be there for, no matter what. It’s like Juno, an episode of 16 and Pregnant, and Judy Blume’s Forever all rolled into one big tossed salad of teen drama.

General thoughts include my appreciation that it never got preachy about the teen pregnancy; my wish that the secondary characters, like that of Cameron, sweet, willing-to-help-the-pregnant-girl Cameron had been more fleshed out (Dessen has gotten better at this, to the point that the C2s are more interesting than the C1s); and the bravery—is that what it’s considered now?—to allow Halley to end up without a guy, stronger for not giving in when she wasn't ready, and developing into a better version of herself.

I’m finding that Dessen’s earlier work had riskier plots devices—drinking, smoking, drugs, teen pregnancy, bad boyfriends—though that isn’t saying much. These books aren’t meant to be high angst. I just think that the guys are becoming, with each successive book, more and more nonthreatening, and the girls less and less outward with their teenage rebellions, less uninhibited. It’s not a complaint so much as an observation.

Anyway, probably not going to read an entire novel in a day again. Even if it’s a good book like this one, it leaves you exhausted!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone Like You.

May 7, 2012 – Shelved
May 7, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 19, 2012 – Started Reading
May 19, 2012 –
page 190
May 19, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Virginia (new)

Virginia What else is summer for except to gorge on books? ;)

Tatiana Oh, I'll read plenty of books this summer. I'm just not a gorger, I guess. :)