Gina's Library's Reviews > No Comfort Zone: Notes on Living with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

No Comfort Zone by Marla Handy

May 07, 2012

liked it

I read this book for World Literary Cafe.

I will be honest, I had a hard time with this book. It's not because I don't feel for the author and what she has gone through in her life with the child abuse and rape. It's just that I feel she is giving into her abusers still.

There is a person in my life that was abused as a child at the hand of a parent. I also have a person in my life that has PTSD. Neither respond in the way the author does.

I guess it's true that everyone responses to things differently. In my opnion she is still giving into the abusers and that lets them win. Her triggers let them win. That may make me cold hearted but that is how I feel.

This book was not a memoir or even a self help book. It also doesn't really show you what PSTD is. Everyone that has PSTD has different symptoms and treatments. I'm not really sure what the point to this book was given that there are different symptoms and treatments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Comfort Zone.

Peachy I'm just curious as to how you would recommend someone not let their triggers win? This would imply that one has the power to ignore a trigger, and not let it suck you back into the hell of its existence, and when suffering with PTSD you cannot. It seems to me that your take on this illness was addressed in the book. As someone who is dealing with chronic and complex PTSD, I would find it offensive and revictimizing to have someone tell me that the illness that I have accuired due to being severly mistreated, and how it involuntarily makes me respond, shows that I am letting my abusers win.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret PTSD happens when you have your soul nearly ripped from your body.. it's hard to just put it behind you and go on when you've been hurt so badly. Abuse can be overcome--carefully and with time--but it affects you for a lifetime.

Melissa As a wise priest once told me: abuse goes against the commandment not to kill. Abuse changes you, it takes a bit of your soul, it changes how you interact with the world, which ultimately means it changes who God may have intended you to be. Those words hit me right in the chest, as though someone completely got it. There is no choice of whether something triggers. One day I can handle a situation without being triggered, another day the slightest thing will trigger me. I was told this will always be an issue in my life. Not a constant one, but it will pop up. I have learned skills to bring myself back to reality and that is how I fight back. I am offended that anyone would think I am still giving the abuse control over my life when I have worked so hard to learn to live with it as part of my past that sometimes intruded on my present.