Ginny's Reviews > The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls

The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher

May 07, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, arc, contemporary, e-book, nook, secret-shock-tag
Read in May, 2012

When this book showed up on NetGalley, I grabbed it. But I left it on my Nook, debating if I wanted to read it or not. But I decided to read it-I've kind of been on a Contemporary kick lately and wanted another one. Immediately I was hooked. This book was just so much MORE than I could have hoped for!

The story starts with an assignment page for an 11th Grade AP English class. Adrienne Haus is the protagonist (to use some of her literary terms) and she is the voice of the novel. At the end of her essay opening she states "And I'll explain how the books affected me-because whoever I was a the beginning of the summer, I am not that person anymore." This statement set the tone for the novel and I needed to know HOW she was different.

Four girls, three mothers, one summer book club. And none of the girls are friends or even really know or like each other, but somehow, it works. Through Adrienne we learn about each girl, and we see how the summer affected them and brought on growth for them. Will the events that took place during the fifth and final meeting mean the end for their tenuous friendship, or will the school year bring on something completely new and different?

I loved Adrienne's voice. She was snarky, sarcastic, yet lovable and lost. I felt connected to her and hurt when she hurt. Her relationship with her mother felt real-more real than other YA novels.

You will not be disappointed with this book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls.