Melise Gerber's Reviews > Breathers: A Zombie's Lament

Breathers by S.G. Browne

5200977
May 07, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Over the past 9 months, I have been reading a lot of zombie and horror fiction. I found this novel on a list of Bram Stoker Award Winners and Nominees for 2009. It was nominated in the category of "Best First Novel." I am seriously glad I tracked it down.

The novel is set in a world where zombies are commonplace. It is not an apocalyptic novel--society remains much as it is today, but for some unexplained reason, 1 in 4 (I think that is the ratio described in the novel) people who die, come back to life again as zombies. They live among the "Breathers," as they call the living, but are treated like second class citizens. The entire novel revolves around a group of zombies who come together through a group called Undead Anonymous (UA), a support group that is part 12-step program, and part group therapy.

Browne has done a great job of keeping the tone fairly light and humorous, without falling over the edge into self-satire, with a nice imagining of both the inner and outer life of a zombie within this universe.

Well written, in a chatty (but not overly chatty) tone, this is a quick and enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathers.