AJ's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

May 07, 2012

bookshelves: romantic, series, steamy, pnr-vampires
Read from June 26 to 27, 2012

“I’m the only authentic Vlad. Everyone else is merely an envious imitation.”

There's nothing more I really need to say is there? Vlad is Vlad, and he is AWESOME! I loved him in the Night Huntress books, and I love him even more as the hero of his own series (especially after his epic entrance into the story!).

Leila is a strong character and a good match for him, and the two of them together are on fire (pardon the pun, hehehe) - seriously, even in the shower... hot damn! I love the honesty between them, and the way that Vlad treats her as an equal instead of some stupid little doormat who needs rescuing. Leila can more than hold her own, and he not only accepts it, he encourages it.

And then there is swoony Vlad *sigh*. True to form, he isn't over the top, romantic swoony, he's still arrogant, but that's why we love him!

“You think my blood is the only tie between us?"
...
"This is our true tie," he whispered, his breath falling hotly onto my lips. "You're meant for me, and I will have you.”

Whew, that gives me shivers! :)

A great story with all the usual Jeaniene Frost awesomeness - including a very brief appearance by Bones and Cat...,

“Leila, this is my friend and honorary sire, Mencheres, and his wife, Kira," he said, indicating the long-haired Middle Eastern man and the blonde.
"Also let me introduce my friend, Cat." The redhead, and for some reason, she looked familiar. "Her husband Bones" – here Vlad smiled coolly at the short-haired brunet – "is not my friend.”

Hahaha, I love the Bones/Vlad relationship!

This is a great addition to the Night Huntress World. Yes, the ending is fairly abrupt, but it just makes me all the more eager for the story to continue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

Quotes AJ Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“Two Leilas seemed to be battling it out inside me. The first was outraged that he still considered it a fait accompli that I'd give in to him, and the second...that slutty bitch was wondering what Vlad looked like naked.”

Jeaniene Frost
“You think my blood is the only tie between us?"[...] "This is our true tie. You're meant for me, and I will have you.”

Jeaniene Frost
“My body is the only thing that’s truly mine, so I don’t give it away as though it’s worthless.”

Jeaniene Frost
“No, I do my torturing in the dungeon like any other respectable castle owner,”

Jeaniene Frost
“Don’t. I’m all sweaty and bloody,” I protested.
“Heavens, not sweat and blood,” he replied mockingly. I managed to smile. Smartass vampire.”

Jeaniene Frost
“Why would I seek to break your heart?”
“Because you can be a merciless bastard at times,” I answered honestly.
A smile flitted across his lips. “True, but I want you with me.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I’m the only authentic Vlad. Everyone else is merely an envious imitation.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I stretched out my hands as if to ward him off. “Not yet. I want to know what your end game is first.”
Another flash of teeth, this time showing his fangs.
“To have you screaming my name within the hour.”

Jeaniene Frost
“If I didn’t want you so much,” he said in a deadly purr, “I’d let you keep fucking me with your gaze, but you make me impatient.”

Jeaniene Frost
“It must be important or he wouldn't dare disturb me now,” he muttered.
Then he drew away to look at me. “If it's not, I'll kill him and return to you directly.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I can give you honesty, monogamy, and more passion than you can stand, but not love. That emotion died in me long ago, as I suspect you already know.”
I took a deep breath, fighting a twinge that made no sense because he was right. I had guessed that about him.
“Good,” I replied in a steady voice. “I was worried that you’d turn into one of those obsessed, emo movie vampires, and that would be embarrassing for both of us.”
His laughter rang out before changing into something rougher and infinitely more sensual. Emerald overtook his gaze once again.
“Enough talk,” he muttered, and lowered his head.”
tags: vlad

06/26 "Vlad, Vlad, Vlad!!! I finally have my hands on you!! Bring it on!!!"
13.0% "What an entrance! Vlad you are a rockstar!" 3 comments
06/26
30.0% "Two Leilas seemed to be battling it out inside of me. The first was outraged that he still considered it a fait accompli that I'd give in to him, and the second... that slutty bitch was wondering what Vlad looked like naked.

Haha, love it!" 1 comment
06/26
37.0% "Bones has come to visit. YAY!"
06/26
45.0% ""This is our true tie," he whispered, his breath falling hotly onto my lips. "You're meant for me, and I will have you."

SQUEEEEEEEE!!!" 11 comments
03/07 marked as: read

JenJenBoBin OMG Not 5 stars .. WTF happened??? LOL To me there is none better than Mr. Tepesh I might read it again today!! LMAO

message 2: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ LOL, don't take it too personally! I loved it, I really did, but it just didn't have that extra 'something' to push it up that extra star. 5 stars for me is 'Amazing', and I don't give them away that easily. 4 stars means I still loved it. And it's probably sitting at a 4.5 anyway.

Plus I had just come off an incredible 5 star pnr read - Until the Sun Falls from the Sky - which did have that 'something'.

JenJenBoBin Wow So I wonder if that one will make me wish there was 6 or 10 stars? LMAO I am resisting th urge to dive into it right now. I have done 2 loads of laundry, made breakfast for humans and dogs and done dishes and walked the canines all before firing up my PC I am being productive today .... starting that book would ruin my productiveness wouldn't it? LOL

message 4: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Absolutely! My house looked like a dump while I read that book, I literally did nothing but read! You are being very productive, well done you!

I very occasionally give 6 stars (which is a rating all my own), when 5 stars just isn't enough.

Aestas Book Blog Great review :) looking forward to reading this next!

Maria Awesome Review AJ!! I might have to wait a couple of days to read it and let Lucien get out of my head before I move on to Vlad!!

message 7: by AJ (last edited Jun 27, 2012 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Thanks guys!!

Yes Maria, I think that's a wise decision! Aaahhhh Lucien *swoon*

Maria Swoooooooooooooning!!!!!!!

message 9: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I'm onto my second book post-Lucien, and I'm still thinking about it!

Maria Last night I started my next book and half the time I was just staring at the page thinking about that Damn Book!!

Aestas Book Blog LMAO you guys are too funny!!

Maria LOL;)

message 13: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Don't laugh too hard Aestas, this will be you in a couple of days!!! Once you finally cave into your intense love for Lucien, there is no going back!

Aestas Book Blog *controls laughter*
see? no laughing!
hahaha I have a feeling you are SO right :P
I'll prolly have to rearrange my TBR

Maria Two Macho Alpha Vamps might be to much for me in one week......My Brain might Explode!!! LOL;)

message 16: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I don't know about that. Lucien is.... Lucien *sigh*. But I've still got a lot of love for Vlad. He's awesome in a completely different way.

Maria Yeah but sometimes when I read two of the same, case in point Vamps I tend to lean towards one and then not enjoy the other as much. If that makes sense......Anyways i'm sure I will Love Vlad's book.

message 18: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ It absolutely makes sense. I was going to go on to a Dark Hunter book, but have decided to go completely different for a break. But I'll be back to it soon - need to catch up to you so we can read Ash's book!

Maria Definitely, I'm holding off until you get further along!!!

message 20: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Oh really? OK, I'll try to hurry along. What are you up to?

Aestas Book Blog omgggg I seriously cannot WAIT for you guys to read Ash's book!!! I'm giddy on your guys behalf :P

Maria Next up for me in DH Series is Dream Hunter Book 10!!

Aestas Book Blog little warning about that one - its the slowest book in the series. Its still good and everything, but its not quite as fast paced as the others. Just push through it - skim a little if you have to... but its the only one that really like that. I personally still liked it (4 stars instead of the usual DH 5), but because the Dream Hunters aren't as in touch with their emotions, the book feels a little colder than the previous ones. But the characters are important for future books and if I recall, there are important Ash tidbits in it too

Maria Yeah I remember you telling me that, I'm not one that can skip books in a series so I will stick it out for sure!! I don't want to miss anything important especially if it has to do with Ash.

message 26: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I'm up to book 7 so I'm not as far behind as I thought! But I'm sure you can find something to keep you amused while I catch up ;)

Maria Yeah No Prob, plenty of books to read till then!!! LOL;)

JenJenBoBin You changed it to 5 Stars!!! Yeah see I knew you'd see the light! ;)

message 29: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Hahaha, yes I did. Somebody's paying attention ;) It was just hard luck that poor Vlad came after reading an absolutely sensational 6-star read. Anything that followed that book was going to be in trouble.

It was already 4.5 stars, I'm stilling thinking about Vlad and Leila, and it was awesome. 5 stars, easy!