Dana Delamar's Reviews > Out of Sight

Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard

2014928
May 06, 2012

I enjoyed this book. It's the first Elmore Leonard I've read. Super-tight prose, witty dialogue, colorful characters. Leonard pares everything to the bone, and every word counts.

I'd seen the movie years ago and loved it (it's one of the best films Soderbergh or Clooney has made), and I always wondered how closely it followed the book. The answer: pretty darn close, based on what I remember. Soderbergh certainly captured the feel of the book; I'd have to compare the two, but my guess is that a lot of the dialogue made it to the screen.

My only complaint with the book is that the ending is incredibly abrupt. I felt there could have been another page or two of what was going on internally for the two leads. I can't remember how the movie ended (it might have been different), but I don't remember feeling unsatisfied at the end, the way I did with the book. I don't disagree with the way the book ended, but I felt like I'd been dropped off the end of a cliff. Even just a few more lines could have been enough, especially from Foley's point of view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Sight.