Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)'s Reviews > My Heart for Yours

My Heart for Yours by Steph Campbell

May 06, 2012

bookshelves: author-interview

There once was a girl with two faces.

Two hearts

Two lives

But the more she lived in the pretend life

The more it became her real one

And the less she thought about her real life

The more it became her pretend one.

***

Delia and Tobin get involved in a deep, emotional and intense relationship. Her father, a U.S. Senator who disapproves of their relationship, decides to move the family to Washington D.C. in the hopes of breaking them up. Delia and Tobin are determined to stay together no matter what, but soon after she moves the distance between them emotionally is bigger than the physical distance between them and their relationship falls apart. Delia completely changes to what her father wants her to be and she starts dating Weston, someone who her father approves of because of his political connections. Meanwhile, Tobin has been trying his best to forget all about Delia and is convinced that he will never have to see her again. After a year apart, a tragedy brings Delia back to her old hometown to attend the funeral of Eamon, Tobin’s older brother. When she sees Tobin again, she is conflicted by her emotions of anger, hurt and love. She tries to talk to him, but they can’t seem to get past the pain between them. Just when it seems like they might be able to recover as friends, Delia’s father shows up and brings along her boyfriend Weston. Once again, Delia starts letting her controlling father intimidate her.

The story is told in alternating POV’s of Tobin (written by Stephanie Campbell) and Delia (written by Jolene Perry). It jumps from the present to the past, starting from when they first met to the moment where everything fell apart. We get glimpses of them falling in the past and again in the present. Delia annoyed me sometimes because I wish she would just stand up to her father, but at the same time I understood her fears about him and jumping into a relationship with Tobin again. Once she lets loose and starts acting like her old self, I really liked her. Tobin’s character was so perfectly written. He was devastated and heartbroken by the death of his brother, who he was very close to and seeing Delia again isn’t making things any easier for him. Especially seeing her with her new boyfriend. All he really wants is to have his old Delia back, but will she finally stand up for herself or will she go running back with her dad again? And will they be able to let go of the past and move on and learn to trust each other again?

Jolene Perry and Stephanie Campbell have created a beautiful and heartbreaking story about love, forgiveness and finding yourself. Although the writing alternates POV's and jumps from past to present, it's easy to follow along and the writing meshes beautifully. Honestly, if I hadn't known that two authors wrote this book, I would have never guessed it. I picked up this book because Nyrae Dawn recommended it on her blog and the beautiful cover and title immediately caught my attention. Their love story reminded me a little bit about Noah and Allie from The Notebook, their love was so strong that it was able to withstand time, distance and all the pain between them. Another character that I really loved was Eamon. Although he was dead since the beginning of the book, we read a lot about him from both Delia and Tobin's flashbacks. Make sure to grab some tissues for this one because it's definitely a gut-wrenching tearjerker!

4.5 out of 5 sparkly stars!

Some of my favorite non-spoiler quotes from My Heart For Yours:
-His eyes are the same. His voice is the same. It's the sameness, and the newness and the differences and all the stuff between us-the good, the bad, the horrible and the selfish. The last two were mostly me. Then came the anger part-that was mostly him. And now? Now I'm just a girl messing with his head in a way he doesn't deserve.

-I still don’t know if Tobin’s just a part of this place, or more a part of me than I realized. Either way, his name brings equal amounts of pain and something I don’t understand.

-“Is she really worth all this trouble, bro?”
I nod. She was worth it for me, but I wondered sometimes if I was worth it for her.

-“Did it ever occur to you that you should have stood up to him yourself? Make the people around you feel like they’re worth it! Worth something!”

-Forgiving someone is a scary thing, because you have to trust that you won’t be hurt again, and I hope we’re there. Or will be soon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Heart for Yours.

May 6, 2012 – Shelved