E.M. Lynley's Reviews > Lost Light

2082228
May 06, 2012

bookshelves: mystery, audiobooks
Read in April, 2012

This is among my favorites. I listened to the audiobook years ago and recently read it, though I didn't enjoy it as much the second time around. I suspect it was Len Cariou's performance which made it really shine for me the first time around.

As usual, there are plenty of unsavory characters, most of whom will end up dead. Roy the FBI agent is back and I liked him more than his previous appearances. Kiz Rider may be the only likable character here.

I'm a bit skeptical about the climactic scene at Bosch's house. I doubt even Chuck Norris could pull that off, but it's fiction, so I won't overthink it.

One jarring aspect I noticed when reading is that this book is written in first person, unless previous Bosch outings. I realized that the two titles that cover his short retirement are both in first person, and once he goes back to the LAPD Connelly resumes third person. Apparently, this is to demonstrate Bosch as the loner PI, against the world, the LAPD and the FBI. I can't decide if this is genius or too contrived. You can decide for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Light.