Miles's Reviews > Black Site

Black Site by Dalton Fury

I checked this book out for my 15 year old son who is into nonfiction stories of modern soldiering. I wanted to get him to read some fiction, and thought to stick with the things he's interested in - mostly shooting and fighting. Black Site is a solid action story, and induced compulsive reading behavior in me, which is a certain kind of measure of literary worth. It's just about right for everyone's inner 15 year old boy. Dalton Fury peppers his tale with believable details about weapons, tactics, attitudes, Pashtun culture, the look and smell of Afghanistan and Pakistan, and the camaraderie between brothers in arms. You sense that he's lived soldiering, and recently. Unfortunately, when the story steps into the world of CIA operations, super-spy heroics, evil bad-guy al-Qaeda masterminds, one man take downs of eight team terror squads and the like, the world he imagines begins to seem more like a comic book. In other words, it's just too difficult to believe that events would ever go down the way he describes. I read through it quickly and enjoyed the adventure, but the verisimilitude promised by the early soldiering details and narratives is ultimately replaced by a wham bam thank you ma'am comic book adventure that's lots of fun, but just couldn't ever have happened quite like this. If you were watching the made-for-TV movie that this seems designed to become, you'd probably just wander off for potato chips at some point and forget to come back, or find yourself muttering "oh, like that would ever happen!" But books have a way of being more compelling than video and all and all, I say, this one was not a bad way to while away a day. If my 15 year old ends up reading it, I'll rate it as brilliant, because it helped a boy on his reading journey. If he doesn't, well then, there's really not much here to talk about.

Post Script: My 15 year old son read it, beginning to end, and more than once. I therefore rate this novel as "brilliant" and "a tour de force."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Site.

Started Reading