Kristin's Reviews > The Firm

The Firm by Robin Waterfield

bookshelves: thriller, mob, mafia, crime, legal

Loved the majority of this book. My husband is a lawyer, so I could personally identify with some of the wife's emotions in the story (though thankfully not all of them!)

*Spoilers*

I enjoyed the way the main character, Mitch, slowly fell into the life of the firm and carefully maneuvered his way out. I appreciated the character's desire to figure it all the secrets - just like the reader wants. I loved the way Mitch and his wife worked as a team to get out of the situation. It is a beautiful example of marriage under pressure.

The one thing I couldn't stand was the incident of Mitch cheating on his wife. First, it didn't ring true for the character, and second (and more importantly), there was no payoff. It happened for no reason. It was used as blackmail to hold over Mitch's head, but nothing ever came off it, which sours the happy ending with his wife. It feels like he didn't just play the mob, but his wife as well, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Had Mitch's wife at least found out, she could've chosen to stay with her husband or to leave him. As the novel stands, she had no choice. I'm all for imperfect protagonists, but I dislike characters getting away with something awful, as well as writers introducing a plot point that simply disappears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Firm.

March 26, 2020 – Started Reading