Krystle's Reviews > Between

Between by Jessica Warman

It took me a long, long time to warm up to this book but when I finally did, wow, it took me for a wild ride.

So, Elizabeth, I dunno ‘bout you but you sure as heck ain’t gonna be one of my buddies. You are selfish, vain, obnoxious, self-centered, and always try to run away from the harsh realities currently facing you making you stuck in a perpetual state of denial. Woman, you need to get a grip. Being rich certainly hasn’t helped you either. She’s the reason I glared or made faces at the book because I so don’t enjoy being in the head of a person like that.

Until… someway around the halfway point when the real mystery plot starts to ramp up in excitement and “WHOA, WHAT JUST HAPPENED THERE?” moments that I got really attached. Sure, there’s a slow gradual growth in her character but it’s not a total transformation. More like she softened out and started to realize some of the things she’s done/behaviors she chooses to portray aren’t working out for her.

Btw, did I say anything about the plot? Okay, so it’s kinda pretty obvious who the killer is but getting there is a trip and a half. I loved how the author laid out little clues, hints, and subtle foreshadowing that really smack you in the face when things are unveiled. When background information of our two main characters is unveiled, you are just left going wow. Some of it is heartbreaking and some of it is sobering. It’s pretty grim and bleak for a novel I thought would be light and fluffy.

Another fabulous thing about this book is that there’s no actual romance. No romance develops between the female and the male lead. They are at odds with each other at the beginning and dislike each other but at the end come to a gradual understanding and tolerance, if not tense friendship. Elizabeth does love someone but she is firmly steadfast in her feelings for him and never wavers.

All of the characters are great, even if they may be a bit stock and not overwhelmingly complex in their composition. They’re all distinct and no one is truly a terrible person as they all have their own vices and flaws. Even though you probably won’t like Elizabeth by the end of the story, you’ll probably sympathize with her.

The ending was not anything significant but it was perfect for the characters as it gave you that resolution you wanted for them. It’s not fluffy or sappy but it’s sincere so you won’t experience a moment of being let down.

I say this is a nice book to try out; you just need to persevere past the first half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between.

May 6, 2012 – Started Reading
May 6, 2012 – Shelved
May 6, 2012 –
page 45
9.91% "Reading from the pov of a main character that's rich, stuck up, vain, and self-centered is not my favorite things. I get the whole character growth and development deal but that doesn't mean I'll like the beginning parts!"
May 7, 2012 –
page 174
38.33% "It's gotten a lot more interesting."
May 8, 2012 –
page 373
82.16% "Oh my. I wonder what the whole mystery unraveling is going to be like."
May 8, 2012 –
page 464
100% "Wow that ending. Totally did it for me."
May 8, 2012 – Finished Reading