Katherine Cowley's Reviews > Seeds of Rebellion

Seeds of Rebellion by Brandon Mull

May 06, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, middle-grade-fiction
Read in April, 2012

I'm giving this book a 4.5--and rounding up.

The second book in the Beyonders series, this book plunged us even more into the fantasy world and deeper into the characters lives and motivations. This reminds me of many fantasy series, where the first book is focused on one or two characters, and in the second the cast grows and story lines weave more complex lines as the story conflict becomes more global. Many more characters had defining moments and were forced to prove their mettle, yet the story was still told through the eyes of the two characters from Earth, Jason and Rachel.

In my review of the first book, I expressed the hope that we'd see more of Rachel in this book. My wish was granted. Not only does it turn out she can use magic, but she causes significant forward movement throughout the book due to her actions and choices. Further, she has a really nice character arc--she starts the book letting others direct and lead her, letting them make decisions for her, but by the end she is more confident and willing to assert herself. Well done Brandon Mull.

There's a lot of setup for the third book (as always happens in trilogies) yet I felt like this book has sufficient closure. Thank goodness Goodreads notifies me when new books come out by authors I've read, because I will be reading the final book in the series as soon as it comes out. Mull can certainly deliver to my action-adventure fantasy cravings.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeds of Rebellion.