Karla's Reviews > What a Boy Needs

What a Boy Needs by Nyrae Dawn

5 Stars!! You ARE AWESOME Jaden and so is Nyrae Dawn!!

This follow-up book to What A Boy Wants, is a little darker in tone, but just as wonderful and appealing! Heartbreaking and heartwarming, it’s a beautiful journey about self-discovery, self-worth and friendship!

What Jaden needs is to know that he is loved. Oh and he is, by so many people, but not by the two people who should love him unconditionally, the love he craves, the love he NEEDS! Jaden is the unfortunate target of his father’s verbal abuse, the man is just plain old mean, condescending and humiliates Jaden every chance he gets. He is relentless and his mother stands by a does nothing! NOTHING!! I wanted to punch his father in the face and bitch-slap his mother! If not for his best friends Sebastian, Aspen and Pris, I believe he would have lost himself completely.

Pris, the girl he’s loves and his friend for as long as he can remember, barely maintains her friendship with him. He won't allow her into his heart. He’s so damaged from being the victim of verbal cruelty at the hands of his father; he feels he has no self-worth. What Jaden doesn’t know is that Pris’ charmed life is not all that it seems and they are more alike than they are different. Now all four of them are off on the journey of a lifetime as they travel across the United States, and Jaden and Pris try to find their way back to each other.

I’ve always seen her. Always. I've just been trying not to.

I adore these four loveable teens, their wonderful friendship and how they look out for one another. Being back with Sebastian and Aspen was delightful. One year later and these two childhood friends are head-over-heels in love. Nyrae Dawn makes their relationship sweet and believable. I wish I had a Sebastian or Jaden when I was that age. She is in tune to every detail and writes a boy’s point-of-view as good as any I’ve ever read. She’s spot on with the antics and the thoughts of an 18 year old boy, how they view girls, the way they speak and how easily their self-confidence and hearts can be shattered.

” You’re nothing." Mike's words come back, but that can't be true. I can't be nothing if she loves me.”

Not to worry, there is a well-deserved ending for Jaden, it brought tears to my eyes and made my heart feel full. I’m having a hard time letting go of these characters and hope that Nyrae will somehow find a way to continue their story. This reader NEEDS MORE!! I want to see how cool it can be.

I highly recommend this book and What A Boy Wants, but be sure to read them in order, or you'll miss out on the beginning of this awesome journey!

Jaden Sinclair
Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Boy Needs.

06/10/2012 "I am putting real life on hold for Jaden! I'm going to see what this boy needs...although, somehow I think I know already!"
06/10/2012
8.0% ""It won't take them long to realize what I've always known. You're not worth it. You're not worth anything."

I want to pound the shit out of Jaden's dad...what an ass! I'm going to end up snapping Kip in half...grrrrrrrr!!" 2 comments
16.0% "Gasp!!

Somehow I had a feeling that this was the case...oh Jaden honey I'm so sorry!" 2 comments
06/10/2012
81.0% "She opened the door for you, now just walk through Jaden. Stop thinking so much, your parents are JERKS, you are so much better than they could ever dream to be!"

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Like the older cover better ...

Karla Michelle wrote: "Like the older cover better ..."

Nyrae couldn't keep it for some reason. Whatever, it's what's inside that matters and it's good!

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Oh, I hear you. Couldn't keep it. Strange. I'm normally not a big cover person .. no so much anymore. With the eBooks, you only see them if you choose too. On GR, some of the best books have the ditsiest covers.

Karla Michelle wrote: "Oh, I hear you. Couldn't keep it. Strange. I'm normally not a big cover person .. no so much anymore. With the eBooks, you only see them if you choose too. On GR, some of the best books have the di..."

She explained it in a blog post. I think she was disappointed too. One of the best books I've ever read has a horrible cover and some of the books with the hottest covers, just bomb!

★Ruth★ Oh I have What a Boy Wants DL'd to read, didn't realise there was a sequel all ready...I've heard great things.

Karla Ruth wrote: "Oh I have What a Boy Wants DL'd to read, didn't realise there was a sequel all ready...I've heard great things."

Both wonderful books Ruth. Nyrae is amazing at writing a boy's POV. I enjoy a good YA and these two books are fantastic!

message 7: by Anne OK (new)

Anne OK Looking forward to your full review on this one, Karla. I've got both "Want" and "Needs" on my TBR list.With all the great recommendations lately, the YA genre is taking over my reading time lately.

Karla AnneOK wrote: "Looking forward to your full review on this one, Karla. I've got both "Want" and "Needs" on my TBR list.With all the great recommendations lately, the YA genre is taking over my reading time lately."

I know it's crazy, but they make me feel so young and are such a joy to read.

message 9: by Anne OK (new)

Anne OK Amen! I just finished "That Boy" and "Almost" and really enjoyed them both. I'm working on reviews but I'm falling behind -- reading is much more fun!!

Karla AnneOK wrote: "Amen! I just finished "That Boy" and "Almost" and really enjoyed them both. I'm working on reviews but I'm falling behind -- reading is much more fun!!"

I hear you Anne. I just want to move on to the next book, but I feel like I need to give this book the due it deserves. I can't wait to see your review for Almost, I have that on my TBR too!!

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Peresonally, I think you just gave the perfect review. You made me and I'm sure others, want to read this book. Wonderfully done already, Karla.

Karla Kristen wrote: "Peresonally, I think you just gave the perfect review. You made me and I'm sure others, want to read this book. Wonderfully done already, Karla."

Thanks you Kristen, but I just want to add a little more.

Monique ~ Sinfully Really Great review Karla....I figured you were passionate about the book when the face punching and bitch slapping came into it!!!! Please remind me not to piss you off anytime soon....:))

Karla Monique wrote: "Really Great review Karla....I figured you were passionate about the book when the face punching and bitch slapping came into it!!!! Please remind me not to piss you off anytime soon....:))"

Thanks Monique! What Jaden's father said to him, really hurt my heart. I know it's fiction, but it's something that happens all to often in real life!

Monique ~ Sinfully I have to be in the right frame of mind to do dark and disturbing....it tends to stay with me to long...and like you really hurts my heart, especially as I have children of my own...I tend to go overboard with the hugging and kissing.....and they already think I am a strange mother!!!!

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Beautifully said, Karla.

Karla Monique wrote: "I have to be in the right frame of mind to do dark and disturbing....it tends to stay with me to long...and like you really hurts my heart, especially as I have children of my own...I tend to go ov..."

Maybe dark was a bit too much to describe this book, but it certainly disturbed me the way Jaden was treated by his parents. I'd say it's of a more serious nature.

You can never go overboard with too much hugging and kissing...IMO!!

Karla Kristen wrote: "Beautifully said, Karla."

Thank you Kristen, it was a beautiful read!

message 19: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jun 11, 2012 04:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* O.M.G!!! Get. Out!!! I thought this wasn't out till the 12th!!! *SQUEEE!!!* *Runs to purchase it*

*Runs back* Beautiful, wonderful, AWESOME review, Karla!!! I can't wait to read this! My inner teen in just bouncing with GLEE! It's like I got a Christmas present early! I'm so happy to see you loved this!

GREAT Jaden pic!

I was going to catch up here but I guess that'll have to wait now since I just MUST read this NOW!

GAH! I wish was able to come on here earlier!

Karla Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "O.M.G!!! Get. Out!!! I thought this wasn't out till the 12th!!! *SQUEEE!!!* *Runs to purchase it*

I KNOW!!! I was shocked myself to see the early release. Nyrae did a blog post saying it was available for Nook, and she was waiting to see if Amazon was going to release it early too. I went over to check and BINGO...there it was!! I had to have it and dropped everything to read it.

This one is a little more serious and Jaden is going to break your heart, but it's still fun and Nyrae did a an excellent job giving Jaden a voice!

Thanks Jayne, I tried but I can't wait to see to read your review. They always get me excited all over for the book! I had trouble finding a Jaden with a lip ring, but I kept coming back to this pic because of the face. It's a little sad and I think it speaks to Jaden's personality!

Enjoy kiddo!

message 21: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann So glad I saw your review, nice one btw. Didn't realize there would be another bk.

Karla Ann wrote: "So glad I saw your review, nice one btw. Didn't realize there would be another bk."

Thanks Ann! I'm not sure if there will be another book, but I'm sure hoping. Maybe from Aspen and Pris' POV...that would be great!

KindleRomance Reviews Lovely review Karla. You tempt me with these YA books:-)

Karla Thanks Kris. Nyrae does a boy's POV so well, that you could probably relate a lot of it back to your son and how he thinks. If you decide to read them start with What A Boy Wants. These would also be great recs for your friend's daughter!

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill Wonderful review and 5 stars to boot! Almost makes me wish I read YA, Karla.

Karla Jill wrote: "Wonderful review and 5 stars to boot! Almost makes me wish I read YA, Karla."

Thank you Jill! Maybe give it a try, there are so many good YA books!

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill Karla wrote: "Jill wrote: "Wonderful review and 5 stars to boot! Almost makes me wish I read YA, Karla."

Thank you Jill! Maybe give it a try, there are so many good YA books!"

I know, but there are so many 'A' books I've yet to read.

Karla Jill wrote: "Karla wrote: "Jill wrote: "Wonderful review and 5 stars to boot! Almost makes me wish I read YA, Karla."

Thank you Jill! Maybe give it a try, there are so many good YA books!"

I know, but there a..."

You're right...go with what you like. I'm always so torn myself. Right now I'm trying to catch up on some series that I've fallen behind on, but somehow I manage to veer off track now and again.

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee Great review sweetie ☺

Karla Dee wrote: "Great review sweetie ☺"

Thanks Dee!

Kellie Maddox-Ward wonderful review as always Karla. I'm not sure how I missed that this was out. Just dl it then and plan on fitting some time down the beach to read it! Can't wait to compare as I know how miuch we both loved Bastian's book.

★Ruth★ Oh My God Finished it at the weekend & absolutely LOVED it. Poor Jaden, I actually shed a tear or two :(

Karla Kellie wrote: "wonderful review as always Karla. I'm not sure how I missed that this was out. Just dl it then and plan on fitting some time down the beach to read it! Can't wait to compare as I know how miuch we ..."

Hi Kellie *waving*, how's the trip so far? Stay safe and have fun.

Thanks kiddo. I think you are going to love Jaden's book. Nyrae really has a knack for writing from a boy's POV!

Karla Ruth wrote: "Oh My God Finished it at the weekend & absolutely LOVED it. Poor Jaden, I actually shed a tear or two :("

I'm glad you enjoyed it Ruth! I loved that Jaden got his HEA...in such a big way!

★Ruth★ Karla wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Oh My God Finished it at the weekend & absolutely LOVED it. Poor Jaden, I actually shed a tear or two :("

I'm glad you enjoyed it Ruth! I loved that Jaden got his HEA...in such a big ..."

I know it was sooooooo awesome :)

Kellie Maddox-Ward I don't even think I can write a review after reading yours again. You say everything I'm thinking

Karla Kellie wrote: "I don't even think I can write a review after reading yours again. You say everything I'm thinking"

I'm sure you'll think of something, you always do and do it so well. Just a sentence or two will say it all!