Caitlin's Reviews > Fall of Giants

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

May 05, 2012

did not like it

Okay, so kudos to Follett for giving this a go - narrating the whole of WWI through the eyes of five families - setting up a trilogy that will encompass the whole 20th century. Yes, that's ambitious. Well done.

After all, I cared a lot more about Middle Ages cathedral building courtesy of Follett - and I've got a soft spot for the Edwardians and how mindsets shifted dramatically after WWI.

This book is neither one thing nor the other - at times the characters sound like Wikipedia entries narrating the events of the WWI, rendering it difficult to really feel for them - but then the actual "nitty gritty" history is a little wobbly at times (women calling themselves "feminists" rather than the actual term used "suffragette", it's 1915 and "we haven't had much trouble from the Irish for a little while" and the death of the Russian royal family seems to have skipped the notice of the main characters, one of whom was an extended member of the Russian royal family...)

So at the beginning, I was absolutely enthralled by the story of a 13 year old boy going down the mines - it was so engaging I don't give a monkey's whether the type of head lamp was correct - I was caught up in the sheer human drama of it all.

But then this human intensity was lost as the sheer details took over.

But that's okay - every 100 or so pages when you start to get a little tired of hearing about troop numbers you get a sex scene, which wakes you up a little.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall of Giants.

Finished Reading