Bookreaderljh's Reviews > The Good Daughters

The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard

May 05, 2012

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012
Read in April, 2012

I absolutely loved this book which is a little odd as at points it was a real downer and the topics it covered were less than upbeat. But the story of these two good daughters - growing up in the "wrong" family and yet in the end finding their own way. It starts slow as the two characters are children but it builds the foundation for all that is yet to come. And so it comes. So many of these stories could have made a whole book just to themselves but I never felt any story line was rushed (except maybe at the very end). But the writing was so wonderful and I felt like I really knew both Ruth and Dana and wanted so much to see how everything would turn out in the end. But the topics touched was unbelievable in retrospect - lesbianism, prejudice, schizophrenia, incest, euthanasia, cancer, ALS disease, Alzheimer's and yet I also learned about farming and strawberry propogation and had a glimpse into Woodstock. How one book was able to handle all of this and still tell a compelling personal story of two woman was nothing less than remarkable. In the end their ties to each other and their father was so much more than the circumstances that pushed them apart early on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Daughters.