Drew Downs's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

May 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

The best I can say is that this is the best of the last several books and I am thankful that the author is drawing the story to a close. It possesses the same contours of all the Sookie Stackhouse books after the fourth one. Of course, this is why we read them, but it has been grating for a long time now. My primary beef is how the mundane invades what must be essential moments for her. This is both a problem with the character and the characterization. The quintessential example occurs toward the end of the book. Without spoiling it, she gets a call from an old flame, has a weighty interaction, slams the phone closed, then plots to go shopping. Next paragraph, she's off to DQ. Both her complete ignoring of the situation, and worse, the author's ignoring of this is bonkers. It is neither dealt with, nor do I have any confidence that it will significantly impact the next book.

It must be said, however, that this and it's predecessor are stronger outings and bide well for the finale. A rich and vibrant world that had many more possibilities than the middle books allowed and the lack of maturity in the main character was a real turn off for me. I am feeling rewarded for sticking with the series, but I'm not sure I can in good conscience recommend these books to any but the most voracious of readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

May 5, 2012 – Started Reading