Laura's Reviews > Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting; A step-by-step guide from concept to finished script

Screenplay by Syd Field

Sep 09, 2008

bookshelves: writing-books

The author is truly a genius. This book is a guidebook written to teach the reader. I took copious notes while reading the book that I later highlighted in a notebook. The only negative thing I can think of is that because of the many examples of movies cited in his book, I started watching more movies than writing and watched them all with a critical eye. Now, It's more challenging than ever to enjoy a movie as I am always thinking, was that the best way to show this, should this be omitted, was this scene important, how was the scene set up, what was the writer and/or director trying to convey to the audience, etc.? Also, I began looking for the Plot Points and hooks, and reading screenplays online where I noticed that many where not followed as written. Artistic license, I suppose. He is very much a structure purist. His book is incredibly valuable for the writer interested in crafting a screenplay that sells.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Screenplay.

Quotes Laura Liked

Syd Field
“Confusion is the first step toward clarity”
Syd Field, Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting