Daniel Solera's Reviews > The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company

The Pixar Touch by David A. Price

Sep 09, 2008

bookshelves: business-economics, biography-memoir, pop-culture

The Pixar Touch, by David Price

I basically picked this one up because I believe that Pixar can do no wrong. How many large, ultra-profitable production studios are out there that consistently churn out beautiful stories of amazing depth and, to the joy of hollywood bigwigs, insane marketability? Very few. I can name a few that have one or the other, but a perfect track record for both?

So it was in pursuit of the answer to that question that I decided to read this book, which is by and large (that was a Wall-E reverse-pun) a biography of the animation studio, from its roots as a cross-discipline think-tank to its current status as the Oscar-winning powerhouse. It might just be the zeal with which I approached reading this book, but author David Price doesn't require much effort to flesh out the story behind John Lasseter's and Ed Catmull's desires to bring computer animation into the spotlight. It's a fun, albeit light read about the difficulties the group went through between animation school and 1995's Toy Story.

Read it: If you love Pixar, period.
Skip it: Why? You can read it in a weekend, and it reads like the story of Google. Anyone with any interest in contemporary culture would like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pixar Touch.