Deborah's Reviews > Venom of the Black Lotus: A Legends of Tivara Story

Venom of the Black Lotus by J.C. Nelson

bookshelves: fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read March 2, 2020.

Set in J C Kang’s world of Tivara, Venom of the Black Lotus takes us far deeper into the Black Lotus Clan’s inner workings, and in particular their Poison Masters.
I’ve read most of the Tivara books, and adore the intricate and believable world building, which spans a vast timescale. This book is a welcome addition, exposing yet more Clan training methods, and taking us places we haven’t been before. The plot is solid, and although not written by Kang himself, the characters (and the world) behave in a congruous manner.
Having said that, I did find two areas of confusion which kept me from enjoying it quite as much as I’d hoped.
There were a lot of characters, some with too similar names for me to keep them straight in my head. I fully appreciate the challenge of a large cast, but perhaps a little more personal description (physical or mannerism) of some of them might have helped.
The other is also a challenge for the author – because of the type of society (basically we are dealing with spies), much of what they say isn’t what they mean. A certain amount of that was fine, but there were some times when I was left head scratching, wondering what, exactly, was intended.
I did enjoy the book, and appreciate what it brings to Tivara as a whole, but I think you should already be a fan before you read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venom of the Black Lotus.

Finished Reading