Rick's Reviews > City of Scoundrels: The 12 Days of Disaster That Gave Birth to Modern Chicago

City of Scoundrels by Gary Krist

M 50x66
May 05, 2012

Read in May, 2012

I left Chicago over 40 years ago. But I never really left behind my affection or emotional ties. Both of my parents were native Chicagoans. My paternal grandparents were native Chicagoans as were their parents and their six siblings. My maternal grandparents lived and worked their adult lives in Chicago. It has throng connections for me.

I grew up when Chicago and Cook County were Democratic fiefdoms ... so I found it strange and a bit disconcerting to read about Big Bill Thompson and the concept of a Republican mayor and administration enmeshed in cronyism, graft and cynical advocacy of special interests.

This book provided me great insight into the types of things my grandparents faced and an understanding of the context and environment in which my parents wer raised. It's a chapter of Chicago history I haven't read about or even heard about. For the most part, the book and stories moved right along and kept my interest. I think this is a must-read for any Chicagoan or emigre.

BTW, I read this on my Nook tablet and it was great to be able to read more details about people and places on Wikipedia, Google, Google maps, etc as I read the book and without having to go to the computer that's in the other room or has been turned off. Great boon to banking the fire of curiousity almost instantaneously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Scoundrels.