Mogsy (MMOGC)'s Reviews > The Ghost Brigades

The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi

May 05, 2012

bookshelves: war, science-fiction

Another fantastic read from John Scalzi. Initially, I was concerned that I wasn't going to like this book as much when I realized that the story followed another character other than John Perry, our protagonist and narrator from Old Man's War. I wasn't sure I was going to appreciate Jared Dirac or the third person perspective as much.

Thankfully, I was wrong and I shouldn't have worried. The Ghost Brigades was as fun to read and as enjoyable as the first book, if not even more so. The story was certainly more exciting and suspenseful.

I also liked the fact we got to know more about the character of Jane Sagan and the Special Forces. As well, there's a lot more detail on the biology and technology in this book, putting the "science" in science-fiction, so that was also one of the more interesting aspects of this second installment.

Scalzi is hilarious as always, but while this book gave me lots of laughs, there were also plenty of deep, emotional moments that made me stop and think, or pulled hard on my heartstrings.

Gave this book a high rating as I found it hard to stop reading, since I was enjoying myself so much. Lots of fun. It was exactly what I needed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost Brigades.

May 5, 2012 – Shelved
August 23, 2012 – Started Reading
August 27, 2012 –
September 2, 2012 –
September 2, 2012 – Shelved as: war
September 2, 2012 – Shelved as: science-fiction
September 2, 2012 – Finished Reading

Andrew Wow, another 5. And you went right into #3.

Mogsy (MMOGC) Yes, I'm quite excited by this series. I don't know why I waited so long to pick up #2.

William Thank you for the review!

I just couldn’t get into this one.