Ariana's Reviews > Prodigy

Prodigy by Marie Lu

May 05, 2012

bookshelves: 2013, favorites, alternating-pov, by-color-dark, by-color-blue

LOVED IT! What an AMAZING story!

“He is beauty, inside and out.
He is the silver lining in a world of darkness.
He is my light.”

It’s a bit unusual for me to like more the second book in a series, but as much as I liked Legend it will never compare with this lovely book… Because, you see, Prodigy is simply (and amazingly) good: great characters, strong world building, a lot more action and an amount of suspense that might kill you just a bit. Not to mention some sweet moments that might melt you like ice-cream on a sunny day.

Take care of your heart when you’ll read this book, as it is heartbreaking and extremely exciting!

THE WORLD
In Legend we didn’t get much information about what was really happening in the Republic and we definitely didn’t get any information at all about what was happening outside this tiny, broken country. Well, we get our answers in Prodigy – even some than we didn’t ask for.

We get an insight into the past of the Republic, we find some informations about the Patriots, about what happened to the world as we know it.. I have a feeling that we might find in the next book some informations about Antarctica or China, or whatever country has better technology than the Republic and the Colonies – as we will need so much some advanced technologies to save us from a major heartbreak.

JUNE
I wasn’t her big fan in the first book because it seemed to me that she had it all way too easy.
It’s true, she kind of lost everything, but she had this vibe (“oh, poor rich girl”) that made not relate with her the way I wanted.

Still, as I said before, what I liked about her was the consistency of her actions. You can see it in this book as well, she doesn’t simply change her mind, she has doubts and she needs proofs before believing in something. She might agree with you, with doing something that you ask, but if she doesn’t believe in it, if there is any chance that you might be wrong she will do whatever is needed to be done to make things right.

June might be one of the best female characters I came across: she is strong, she is a great fighter, she is smart, she has principles and she stays true to herself. Having to fight against the Republic, against everything she was born to believe in doesn’t make her weak. No, she sharpens her instincts, she fight to find hidden layers that might lead her to the truth underneath all those lies, those plots, those monstrosities happening in the Republic.

DAY
Sometimes I wonder how did he became so famous. He is supposed to be our new Robin Hood but all he does is run. I mean it literally.
He is not much into fighting (but he has June to teach him), he doesn’t know much about politics, he definitely can’t read people and he trusts the wrong ones, his pain makes him weak, his loss vibrates through every cell in his body.
I still feel deeply sorry for him because, no matter how much he loves June, the death of his family is eating him from the inside out.

These things are not meant to make us dislike him. He is not perfect, he has tons of flaws, but they also make him tridimensional. He is not a doll, he has feelings, he is strong but he has weaknesses, he is fast but we are still able to catch up with him, to love him. All his life he tried to fight for other people, to help the poor, to save the innocent, but now he is the one in need to be helped, saved. He is tired and all he wants is to find his brother and forget about this war bigger than him. He dreams about a safe place to live with June, Eden and Tess – the most important people in his life, the ones he would give his life for.

SIDE CHARACTERS
We are at war and people come and go.
We meet them, we start caring about them and then they are gone. Some die, some get lost, some you just wish they would die already. We find more about some of them (Thomas, Kaede, even Metias) and we would love to know less about others *caugh* Tess *cough* Some are meant to help us, some are not to be trusted and some will break our heart even though they make a short appearance. Anyways, the focus remains on our couple and the others are there only to make us see the whole picture – with the good and the bad.

CONCLUSION
If you loved Legend you will definitely love this one too.
If you didn’t love Legend you might actually love this one.
If you are not into dystopia I am not sure if you’ll love this one, but you might check it out just in case.
As for me, I loved-loved-loved it!

Happy midnight reading!

* This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigy.

Quotes Ariana Liked

Marie Lu
“You know, sometimes I wonder what things would be like if I just ... met you one day. Like normal people do. If I just walked by you on some street one sunny morning and thought you were cute, stopped, shook your hand, and said, "Hi, I'm Daniel.”
Marie Lu, Prodigy

May 15, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
December 4, 2013 – Shelved as: alternating-pov
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-dark
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-blue

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

comes out the day before my birthday!

Ariana Hahaa, I guess I know what present you want ;))

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

have to read the first book though! Waiting for Kristen Simmons....

Ariana I really liked Legend and I hope that you will like it as well. They are planning to make a movie too ;))

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

WHAT!? Okay...I'm going to read it now. Thanks for the rec! :)

Ariana I've heard about the movie even before the book got out. Though the books are always better, I can't wait for it :D

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

dunno if Im going to watch it but im definitely going to read it ! :)

Kristalia Oh Ari, when will you read this one? I just read it and it was just awesome ♥

Ariana Soon I think. I need to read a few books before getting this one, but I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed it :D

Kristalia Oh, you will enjoy it too :D

Kristalia Hahaha, i knew you would love it ♥

Ariana Yes, I did! And it feels so good to read a book that I love ;))

message 13: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Fantastic review! Love your artwork! :)

Ariana Thanks! I am glad you like it (or well, both of them) ;)

message 15: by Rosa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rosa I liked your review about Day. I also don't get that how he became the Republic's most wanted criminal.