SJ's Reviews > Caszandra

Caszandra by Andrea K. Höst

May 05, 2012

liked it
Read from May 18 to 29, 2012

I'm just so darn ANGRY with this series! There were points when I wanted to throw my Kindle across the room and scream. It was so very very almost good! Instead it let itself down time and time again, leaving me sad for the author and angry enough to want my time back.

On the plus side, this is actual science fiction, complete with things that can't be properly explained because we don't have the background to understand it. It's confusing and vague, but sometimes that's a good thing when it pushes you to use your own brain to really interact with a story to fill in the blanks. I like that people are fallible in this book. That there are factions that can't be fully resolved, because that's real life stuff and great lessons for young adults.

What I didn't like was how freaking boring this installment was out of the three. I've been harping on this throughout my reviews on this one and this is no different.

But wait. This one is different. It's the Last Book. Your final chance to kick your reader in the teeth and make them remember you. Instead, this was more of the same. Same even tone throughout whether there is a big fight scene or someone describing their dreams. The ending felt no different than the beginning and felt forced and abrupt after all the pages and pages of nothing. There was no soul wrenching diary confessions. Just that same even tone page after page, never conveying how the character really really feels. She is untouchable and I couldn't relate to her or her perfect relationships with those around her.

If this was rewritten as anything but a diary, and edited properly, this could be an all star story and the next big thing. Instead it is remarkably worse off for being almost good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caszandra.

05/23/2012
05/23/2012
71.0% "Yeah, I have been on the fence about this through 2 books and I think it just took a nose dive for me."