Saphirablue's Reviews > Crucible of Gold

Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik

6752061
May 05, 2012

bookshelves: alternate-history, dragons, fantasy, favorites, hurt-comfort, in-english, read-in-2014, military

** spoiler alert ** Love it! I had so much fun reading this book.

I just love how Naomi Novik writes her dragons. It started with the description of a miserable flight to Australia and when they are there, the dragon, Shen Li, says that they had a very pleasant flight. XD And then everything Iskierka pulls (even though, poor, poor, poor Granby in some cases) and some other things. Just, *falls over laughing*. A lot. I also like how their "innocent" questions make their Captains uncomfortable. XD The way they point out things that are not okay in the society and their Captains scramble for answers and start to think and question things and change their minds (just think about Laurence in the first book and now).

I love that the books explores a bit the culture of South America (Incas) and that we get to meet the Tswana again. ♥ The idea that the dragons are in charge of the Incas because the people are dying due to the plagues brought from the Europeans and that people are more worth and more protected than crops and gold and anything else? Golden and it's been really fascinating to get glimpses into this society.

As mention above, poor, poor, poor Granby. Iskierka trying to marry him off? Loosing his arm? Having to tell Laurence that he's an invert? *hugs him a lot* I also like that Granby finally put his foot down and won't let Iskierka get her head every time. As much as I love her antics, it's time that she starts to think a bit about consequences before she demands something. Especially when she endangers her Captain through her not thinking.

And Laurence? Every time I thought I couldn't love you more...

Roland and Demaine? ♥ Kulingile? ♥

But, poor Riley. Why?!?!? *sobs*

One thing I really didn't like - the book just ends. It feels like the story was cut in half and the second half has been put into a new book...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crucible of Gold.

May 5, 2012 – Shelved
page 36
page 75
21.25% "Oh shit."
page 84
23.8% "Why are always the minor supporting characters I really like dying? Why? *sobs*"
page 131
37.11% "Oh, Granby. *pets him* XD"
page 160
45.33% "OMG! So awesome!"
page 184
52.12% "*bawhahahahahahaha* Why did I wait so long to read this book?"
page 243
68.84% "OMG! *pets Granby* Also, *falls over laughing*"
page 353
100.0% "What?!?!! That's no ending! *grumbles* Also, *sobs*."
page 353
100.0% "And that teaser at the end of the book? Is freaking EVIL and CRUEL and I need the next book NOW!!!!!!!!!!"
July 26, 2014 – Shelved as: alternate-history