Laura's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

May 05, 2012

liked it

This was a strange read for me. While the concept is undeniably intriguing- a world where the young die before thier time and live thier short years in poverty and fear of abdication (of the girls anyway)- I couldn't help but feel like I was forcing myself to read on after the first 150 pages, with only sporadic points of revelation to interest me.
I felt very unattached to Rhine, and constantly frustrated by her less than meaningful thoughts of escape, and ever indecisive thoughts of 'this a terrible existence... maybe this isn't so bad', 'i hate Lindon...but I don't really', 'im so depressed... I can now go to parties and smile and be happy'.
I felt she wasn't so much planning her escape from the start, and 'allowing' Lindon near her, but rather she had resigned herself to her fate from the wedding onwards, and wasn't actually calling any shots at all. Perhaps that was the point, but either way I wasn't really impressed with her. Nor her odd love/hate relationship with Lindon and maybe love/ completely forget about relationship with Gabriel.
Probably won't pick the sequels up, as I was just relived when the damn thing reached its rather anticlimactic ending. Unfortunately not even intrigue over the body/ baby tests and to learn more about this particular distopian world has tempted me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

May 5, 2012 – Started Reading