Lisa {Silverlight} {Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Reviews}'s Reviews > Greta and the Goblin King

Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs

bookshelves: arc, fantasy, tour

A fantasy world parallel to ours filled with creatures of the wild forest, Goblins, Orges, Ghouls, Wood Sprites, and more, make this story an adventurous tale.
Fast-paced, action packed, with a strong female lead, makes this a winner for fantasy fans.

Greta, the human is thrusted into the world of Mylena after trying to save her brother in our world from a witch, whom's soul purpose is to collect young human boys and transport them through a fire into the world of Mylena. Flash forward four years and Greta is living the life as a hunter, trained by a wood sprite who found her all those years ago. Lucious, aka Luke trains her in the art of killing the bad creatures of this world. Luke is basically a father figure to Greta, and they share a small cottage in the woods. Greta does her job well, and conceals her humanity.

Issac, the Goblin King, of one the territories of Mylena has plagued Greta's dreams. He is a constant in her dreams, slipping into her mind and controlling the setting to her dreams. They seemed to share some kind of history, but what that is or how they initially met, was a little hazy. Their chemistry is electric, although neither one admits their feelings, and it seems to be a sort of cat and mouse game with each other. He shows a protected nature toward Greta, but she has a hard time believing or trusting him. Although, she does harbor something for him.

Issac, shows up at a local pub/bar, which happens to be the same place Greta is. He takes her home after a scuffle at the bar, and although leery of him she lets him. As they approach the cottage, Greta notices Luke is not waiting outside for her, something he always does when he hears her coming back from a hunt/job. Fearing the worst, she enters the cottage to find everything she ever felt safe about, destroyed. Luke is now gone and she is at a loss, as to what or whom to trust. Issac wants to help her and tells her he wants to keep her safe. He seems to have an underlying reason, that is not unveiled until the end.

Greta is determined to avenge Luke's death and she sets out alone, against Issac's wishes and begins her journey to fight the most evil in Mylena, Agramon. Disguising herself in her journey proves to be difficult as there is now a bounty on her head, as the hunter becomes the hunted.

I really enjoyed this story! It was fast paced and the plot was interesting. Emotions were high, and although the romance, seemed to be there, it was a large tease of one, and a slight feel of a triangle. The story seemed to be confusing at the beginning and left me with unanswered questions, but as you read the story, questions were slowly answered in my mind, and the ending revealed most of the plot, although it did leave me hanging. This will be a series and I hope most of the questions I had in my mind are answered, especially between Issac and Greta.

All in all I would recommend this book, it was a unique concept and the creatures in the story were interesting, as well as the characters. Fast-paced, action packed, with a strong female lead, makes this a winner for me!

Fav. Quote

"You can put up walls, Greta, but sooner or later, I'll break down every last one. There won't be any secret you can keep or any part of you I don't know." He leaned foward, his voice lowering to a whisper. "Intimately"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greta and the Goblin King.

May 5, 2012 – Shelved