Faye's Reviews > Holy Ghost Girl: A Memoir

Holy Ghost Girl by Donna Johnson

May 04, 2012

liked it

This is a pretty interesting memoir; if you want to know more about the revival lifestyle without actually participating, this holds the insights that may otherwise be tough to pin down. Great context here.

There are enough details that you can feel as if you're almost there, which, great as it is, was kind of weird to me since, as a memoir, it is being told from the author's perspective and focusing on the ages 3-7 for a good part of it. I kept on thinking, how could you possibly remember that you bit your lip before saying that? You were 4. That being said, it the narrator's perspective reminded me of To Kill a Mockingbird a bit. She's an honest good kid in a real crazy world.

I guess it's a testament to how fascinating her Donna Johnson's life has been that I kept thinking that with a slightly different telling of the story, it could be pretty hot stuff - you know, corruption, adultery and all. However, the format does not exploit the subject material to it's greatest extent so while it's quite interesting, it's not completely entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Ghost Girl.

Meghan That was exactly what I was thinking as I read it. I felt like the timelines didn't add up and the detail was too in depth for her age at the time of the events.

Faye Thta's true, Bill.