wout's Reviews > The Philosopher and the Wolf: Lessons from the Wild on Love, Death, and Happiness

The Philosopher and the Wolf by Mark Rowlands

bookshelves: philosophy, nature, memoir, literacy, social, ebook

After reading the book Running with the Pack, I was delighted to find that there was a book that dived even deeper in the bond between wolf and man. For me this is the best type of philosophy book, one that is interspersed with more light-hearted moments from the author's life, contrasted with constructive and deeper musings on the events in his or her life. I noticed that it took me a lot longer to get through the book, just because it took a while for the messages to sink in and understand them. Therefore, this is definitely a book that would not be better as an audiobook, because I think I would miss things because there's no time to mull them over. One thing that happened during the reading of this book, is that all the notes and highlights I took on my e-reader got deleted, due to me shuffling around some settings. This felt like a setback, one that temporarily makes you not want to be reminded of your mistake and discontinue reading the book. However, because I was so close to finishing it, it would have been silly not to. It made me think that the memories and lessons we gain from reading a book, if they are forgotten and we can no longer rely on our (digital) memory. Of course that is not the case, but it showed me how easily your brain delegates the task of remembering to a third party. Not sure if this topic is mentioned in the other book from this author about external memory, but it made me look forward to read that one as well!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Philosopher and the Wolf.

Quotes wout Liked

Mark Rowlands
“In the end, it is our defiance that redeems us. If wolves had a religion – if there was a religion of the wolf – that it is what it would tell us.”
Mark Rowlands, The Philosopher and the Wolf: Lessons from the Wild on Love, Death, and Happiness

Mark Rowlands
“The most important way of remembering someone is by being the person they made us — at least in part — and living the life they have helped shape. Sometimes they are not worth remembering. In that case, our most important existential task is to expunge them from the narrative of our lives. But when they are worth remembering, then being someone they have helped fashion and living a life they have helped forge are not only how we remember them they are how we honour them.”

March 21, 2020 – Shelved