A J Maledon's Reviews > Where's Rodney?

Where's Rodney? by Carmen Bogan

U 50x66

Nice, lyrical, real-life, quiet-type of book. It will take you about 7.5 minutes to read it, so slightly longer than the super short picture books. I don't mind that at all. My boys ( now 5 and 7) seem to prefer books with more text. They are a bit like Rodney, always on the go, always moving but somehow can sit still and listen to longer books while they don't always sit attentively while we read the "barely-there-text" type of books.

The illustrations are quite spectacular, they have somewhat photo-like quality and "real realness" to them. The illustrator is very skilled having illustrated about a hundred books already.
Both, the author and illustrator, are from Oklahoma and both are people of colour.

There is not that much happening in the story, but it will resonate with kids who love outdoors and have a hard time staying still and concentrating while indoors. Pleasant occasional read. A nice, gentle story about the transformational power of nature, great read before bedtime.

I could picture this book being used in a classroom as well.

( You can read more on my website under REVIEWS tab on annamaledon.com: about the benefits of nature for children, see some of the glorious illustrations and also you can watch a lovely video interview with Carmen)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where's Rodney?.

Finished Reading