C.G. Drews's Reviews > My Life as a Potato

My Life as a Potato by Arianne Costner

bookshelves: middle-grade, read-2020

This whole book was just a potato-filled delight. I had so much fun reading this! It was adorkable and heartwarming, and had tons of awkward 12-year-old style embarrassing moments. You get to cringe and cheer with Ben as he accidentally gets roped into being the school mascot for 3 weeks. Which also looks like a giant potato. (Also SMELLS bad.) Ben is trying to remake himself at his new school, be less awkward and quiet, so he doesn't want to be known as this mascot potato who everyone laughs at. But the tangle of lies he weaves to stop anyone knowing its him behind the mask catches up to him aaaand...he makes a mess.

You just immediately LOVE Ben. He means really well, but he also gets so flustered talking to people, and he's both trying to figure out himself + be a good person + make friends. His voice tho. SO much fun to read. I didn't even want to put the book down, because it goes so fast and I loved every second with Ben and his friends Ellie and Hunter. Also the humorous moments were excellent and wholesome.

Total recommend from me! Although Ben would happily never see a potato again, whereas sorry but *I* love potatoes and am not inflicted by a potato curse and kind of am dreaming of chips right now brb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life as a Potato.

March 20, 2020 – Started Reading