Anne Robinson's Reviews > Escape: Our journey home through war-torn Germany

Escape by Barbie Probert-Wright

34719980

bookshelves: 2020, after-retirement, germany, non-fiction, war

I don’t usually read much non-fiction these days, but I am very glad that I found this book. The idea of seeing the end of WWII through the eyes of a German child intrigued me. The journey that the two sisters undertook was very interesting and really kept me absorbed. The highs and lows of the story made me feel quite emotional at times and the landscapes and unfolding events were well-drawn. There were certainly very harrowing parts of the tale too.

The book kept my attention until the last part. The immediate aftermath of the journey was interesting enough because I had heard the stories of my own parents, who were also young at that time. However, as the book turned to more recent events and further information about family members, I must admit that I skipped quite a few pages.

All in all, I feel that the author should have been persuaded to end the book much earlier, perhaps at the beginning of adulthood, and should not have continued too far into her later life. Still, the book is well-worth reading for the first part and I congratulate Barbie’s and her sister’s courage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape.

March 18, 2020 – Started Reading