Sue's Reviews > Winterkill

Winterkill by C.J. Box

bookshelves: mystery, series, western-lit

Although this is several years old, it is still relevant and feels like current events in the West. The game warden hero faces complex issues with a combination of trusting innocence and native intelligence. It's a winning combo. He can see both sides of the issues that the author confronts and I like this approach because I feel similarly about some of the issues we Westerners face. There is right and wrong on both sides and it's naive to think it's black and white. I like this series because Joe is not a lone ranger type but rather is grounded in his family & his family requires him to make choices as their foster daughter's mother returns with the desire to get her daughter back from the Pickett's. There are dead elk, a murdered Forest Service employee, a compound of refugees from all the horrible Western confrontations between groups & the federal government to date, & a truly crazy federal task force to deal with it all. Joe is caught in the middle. Introduced here is an ambiguous new character in Nate Romanowski who is awesome & scary at the same time. I'm interested to see how he evolves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winterkill.

March 19, 2020 – Started Reading