Jackie's Reviews > Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future: The Ingenious Ideas That Drive Today's Computers

Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future by John  MacCormick

3920207
May 04, 2012

bookshelves: computing, 2012
Read from June 28 to July 13, 2012

Fantastic explanations of important computer science concepts, written to be easily understandable by readers with no computer science background. I loved reading this--as a heavy computer and Internet user (particularly search, as a librarian) with an interest but not much experience in computer science, descriptions of how algorithms I use every day work are definitely of interest. The analogies MacCormick uses are excellent, and almost all of the concepts made perfect sense to me. The reader does have to put thought in to understand what's going on, but advanced mathematics or programming knowledge is not needed. Highly recommended to anyone who's curious about the ideas behind the everyday tasks of computers that look so simple--until you wonder how exactly they work. Doubly recommended for librarians who want a better grasp on how search algorithms (especially Google) work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future.