Matt's Reviews > Home

Home by Marilynne Robinson

Sep 08, 2008

it was ok

Maybe I'm missing something, or I'm too young, or maybe nothing can live up to the expectations I had for this after Housekeeping and Gilead, or maybe I read it too fast, but I seriously found this book incredibly boring. I liked the beginning and the end, and the book does a good job of building the relationship between estranged brother and sister slowly, almost imperceptibly, over time, which felt very true. But mostly reading this book felt like watching a play in which all the characters repress their stupid feelings all the time and never say what they mean and have really boring conversations for three acts and then go on being sad. And, yeah, Gilead's a boring book, too, but it's so beautiful and revelatory that it doesn't matter that basically nothing happens. But when you're writing in scene and dialogue, it's a lot harder to keep me interested in nothing happening, and Home sure didn't. Mostly it just made me feel like a big jerk for not liking it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

01/30/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Michelle This is exactly what I felt for this book. I absolutely adore Gilead, and I want to love Home as well, but it's just not the same. I especially agree with your observation that Gilead is basically a boring book, but that doesn't matter. In Home it's just not the same.

Lisa Litz-Neavear I'm noticing your review is almost four years old, but like Michelle, I think your review hits the nail on the head. I gave the book three stars, if only because I can appreciate the author's beautiful writing. Her characters are so well-developed; I feel like they are people I could know, preferring them to be friendly acquaintances rather than friends.

message 3: by Nan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nan Williams I agree with you [all] totally. I felt nothing in this book but boredom. I loved Gilead and didn't want that book to end. this one was boring and a real downer.

Sara Cat Totally agree. But glad to hear that Housekeeping was also good.

Mary This is a great "different strokes" lesson for me! I found Gilead rather tedious, with too much theological musing for my taste. But I was riveted by Home, eager to know what subtle turn would happen next in the relationships among the three main characters, and Rev. Ames too.