Luke's Reviews > Cold in July

Cold in July by Joe R. Lansdale

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold in July.

Started Reading
March 18, 2020 – Shelved
March 18, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by BMK (new)

BMK Have heard good things about this author. Worth checking out?

Luke Yeah this was very cool

Luke Probably a good one to start with too. Some of his early stuff is pretty brutal

message 4: by BMK (new)

BMK I'm suffering through a Karin Slaughter book at the moment that I just want to stop. Am keen to get back to some Blackwater sextet and some crime fiction with cool dialogue.

Luke I'm glad you're doing the hard yards to find out that Karen Slaughter and James Patterson suck, to save me trying to read them. I have considered it

Luke In fact I have a copy of Kiss the Girls which I will probably not read

message 7: by BMK (new)

BMK I'm listening to it on audiobook. I spent most of the drive home yelling at my stereo to hurry the fuck up and stop talking shit. A good editor could cut a third of the book out and it would be decent. Was think 4 stars for the first third of the book, now it will be lucky to get 2...

Luke That drives me nuts. Why can't they make the first half terrible too, so you can stop after 50 pages

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Mcdonald BMK if you want some more sparely written crime, i've been quite enjoying the Posadas County series by Havill. They don't usually turn ridiculous and over the top.

message 10: by Luke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luke Only 3 stars for each one though? Tough to impress

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Mcdonald Luke wrote: "Only 3 stars for each one though? Tough to impress"
I would prefer to be able to give half stars as well. 3.5s all the way