Carolyn's Reviews > Amethyst Pledge

Amethyst Pledge by Leonie Rogers

19559507

bookshelves: 2020, netgalley, netgalley-2020, fantasy, ya, sf

On Albatar the Lady and those in her service protect the people who live in their villages going about their daily lives. In particular the Lady's Hunters keep watch for and kill the deadly gorgones who threaten to overrun Albatar. Every year the Abbott visits each village to collect those aged fifteen and over who have felt the call to serve the Lady. They are taken back to the Abbey where they are separated into the profession that best suits their skills and talents.

Kazari has just turned fifteen and has decided to answer the call to serve the Lady this year, despite her parents asking her to wait a few more years. She is hoping to be chosen to become a Grower, growing food and medicinal herbs or a Judicar, the administrators of justice. However she is shocked to be chosen to become a Hunter, the most dangerous job of all.

I enjoyed the world building in this novel with a fully formed society complete with a system of belief. I suspect there is more to learn in future about the system of magic on Albaran, where those who serve the Lady must find their own individual talent and then learn to develop it. The plot develops gradually with Kazari training with the Hunters who become her surrogate family with the tension and danger ramping up towards the end of the novel. The gorgones and their effects on humans are truly horrible monsters and it looks like we'll also be learning a lot more about them in the rest of this trilogy. I also liked the way Kazari grows and develops into her role as a Hunter. She is quite young and unsophisticated for a fifteen year old (compared to teenagers in our world) so this novel would have appeal to younger YA readers, as well as older teens.

With thanks to Hague Publishing and Netgalley for a copy to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amethyst Pledge.

March 1, 2020 – Started Reading