Mary Warner's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Sep 08, 2008

** spoiler alert ** At the beginning of this book, I was so mad at the mother I wanted to slap her. Thankfully, now that I'm close to the end, I've discovered that Picoult has made her a sympathetic character - something I was really hoping would happen. [9/9/08] - Last night, I finished the book and bawled and bawled. I was so into the characters and the story that the ending was a shock. My favorite characters were Anna and Campbell. Fabulous story and meticulously researched.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Mary,

I like the wide variety of material you read. It stretches my view of what i myself might like to try.

I also read Picoult's My Sister's Keeper, but found it not to be her finest hour. I thought the ending was a cop-out. She always picks tough topics that involve gut-wrenshing decisions and -withiut giving too much away -the main character in this story never had to make that choice. It was made for her by circumstance.

Mary Warner Hi, Laura - I was once accused of never reading the classics because my tastes range so widely, but of course I've read some classics. Although my sense of what is classic might be a little different from the typical lists of classics out there.

I can see where you're coming from in thinking Picoult's ending on My Sister's Keeper was a cop-out in that Anna doesn't make the tough decision, but I also can see Picoult's point in the interview in the back of the book where she says that she had to end it the way she did because she was trying to stay true to the theme. All I can say is that I didn't see it coming and that it was truly jolting. I appreciated the fact that Picoult ended the book with Kate's voice, which we only get indirectly throughout.

Gosh, I hope that isn't giving too much away. At what point is a spoiler alert necessary? At least I have one on my review.