Rebecka Jäger's Reviews > The Black Sky

The Black Sky by Timothy D. Minneci

This book is a solid adventure in the spirit of Robert Ludlum and Tom Clancy. The Black Sky offers the reader plenty of action, and the level of military detail left me jealous. Timothy D. Minneci has invented unique near-future weapons, each believable: a microwave beam, a sarin drone; you name it! And the main character, Bishop, utilizes them with strategic ingenuity.

Bishop and Tessa, the main characters, are well-rounded and interesting- both ample survivors who have their hearts in the right place. What impressed me most: both fight with their own set of weaponry and unique skills. I loved Tessa with her knives and I-can-handle-it, no bullshit attitude! Both are blind to what lies ahead, and that produces twists and turns which the reader doesn’t see coming.

The supporting cast and the visiting side characters all complement the excellent worldbuilding: children, hippies, old folks, armed gangs, the country town... The author has created several forms of society, each convincing. The post-apocalyptic, meteor- stricken world of Minecci is conventional, and that’s fine because his writing is straightforward and smooth. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel to produce awesome entertainment. Look at Mad Max: we’ve seen it all, but it looks terrific, and the action carries us away.

The pages invite you to continue reading with great action and clever survival tricks. The cliffhangers work, and the plot keeps offering surprising revelations.

I found only a minor flaw: sometimes, a writer should consider if all Point Of Views are necessary. The corporate suits didn’t bring enough to the table to earn a POV. But this is just my opinion. I skipped some pages because of this, mostly in the beginning.

I must say that The Black Sky is one of the most outstanding action books I’ve read in a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Sky.

March 17, 2020 – Started Reading