All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Geekomancy

Geekomancy by Michael R. Underwood

May 03, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc

Like any true geek homage, GEEKOMANCY is aggressively packed with cult pop culture references, memorabilia, and television slang. Though these hallmarks are fun in conversation, in narrative form this deluge initially came across as “let me tell you everything I know” noise. It took awhile for me to acclimate to GEEKOMANCY‘s quippy style, but once I learned to relax and love the book… oh no, it’s contagious.

But seriously, after a few chapters of tell, tell, tell, Ree was finally up to speed and ready to kick some butt. In a world where consuming your favorite entertainment can literally fuel your magic, Ree’s encyclopedic knowledge of movies, TV, comics, and games is a finely honed weapon in her arsenal. Though I never quite warmed to liberal use of similes and digressions (Ree is the resident Manic Pixie Dream Girl of her coffee house patrons daydreams and her splintered attention span proves that she more than fits the role), the adventure side of things was very fun to read. References that would break my concentration when sprinkled into the narration made GEEKOMANCY‘s magic system both fun and accessible in the action scenes, as I puzzled out how a particular TV show or movie would boost Ree’s geekomancy. Though the narrative’s glib style meant Ree and her pals never grew beyond caricature for me, it’s unfair to judge the character development by the usual, gritty tone of an urban fantasy. The flavor of GEEKOMANCY owes more to HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY or Piers Anthony.

Above and beyond the quotes and cameos of beloved pop culture, the plot underneath GEEKOMANCY was well written. I particularly liked how Underwood played with the typical mentor/apprentice relationship, an unexpected twist that really added depth to the adventure. Though a little slow to start, if you’re in the mood for verbal gymnastics and enjoy seeing all of your favorite pop culture franchises in gorgeous, living color, GEEKOMANCY more than delivers.

Sexual Content: None.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geekomancy.

May 3, 2012 – Shelved