Jim's Reviews > Feingold: A New Democratic Party

May 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, politics-and-society, biography-and-memoir
Read from May 03 to 11, 2012

Back when I still thought of myself as a (moderate) Republican, I was for Feingold. Like many Wisconsinites, I found him to be an unfortunately rare type of politician who was forthcoming, morally brave, and principled. I like Russ Feinfold, so I enjoyed reading this book. That said, it is a book with flaws.

Pretty quickly, it's apparent that this is more a work of political promotion than an objective biography. The author is obviously a fan and the Feinfold presented in this book is firmly in the Mr. Smith Goes to Washington mode. We hear about the young Feingold in high school, popular with students and teachers alike, a young Wisconsin progressive, a true son of the Heartland. This is all true, as far as it goes, but it is presented in breathless tone as though Feinfold's upbringing was somehow unique in its goodness, even though none of this seems beyond the experience of any above-average young man.

The book hits its stride when it gets into Feinfold's political life, which was fairly remarkable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feingold.