Michael's Reviews > Boot Camp

M 50x66
May 03, 2012

bookshelves: 4th-quarter
Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This is the first Todd Strasser book I have read, and it kept me reading other books by him. I find it cruel that his parents paid for Garret to get kidnapped. I know it's legal, but I don't think my parents would ever do that to me. He was sent for dating a girl who was much older than him and once his teacher. His parents didn't want him to but he did any ways. Lake Harmony is a terrible place. The first thing he did when he got there was naked for a whole night. The next day he had to memorize a bible and take a test on it. He is lucky he was smart and that he was able to memorize it in like 45 minutes. He was sent into TI many times, which is where you have to lie on a cold floor with your chin. You stay in week periods when you do something bad. Throughout his time there, he meets two friends. They have been planning an escape for a while, and they need to get out before winter. They finally do by causing a fire and lots of other commotion. They escape in the midst of all that. For a few days, they travel in night and live off of stale roles. They plan on going to canada. In just a few days after the escape, they find the river that separates the united states and canada. No sooner do they realize they are being followed. They decide to steal a boat to go across the river. As they are getting the boat ready, they take the plug that stops water from coming in out of another (the one the followers were about to go into). As they are on the boat, they are being followed, but of course the boat behind them is sinking. Garret decides it is not worth taking away two lives, so he lets the others go, and goes back to save them. This lands him back at Lake Harmony. After another long period there, his mom and dad decide they want to pick him up because they realized it was a bad place. But, in the end, he learned that what he did was wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boot Camp.