Teleia's Reviews > Morning Star

Morning Star by Desiree Finkbeiner

F 50x66
May 03, 2012

it was ok

Had I know the author was going to read this, I'd've been more specific. I thought I was just reviewing the book for my friends... :)

Pros: Imaginative -- I really liked Ethos. I also loved Kiah, Kalen and the tach mah. As well as the guy Brianna asked to watch Kalen's back.

Cons: Brianna is too perfect and doesn't really do much. She is pure, which at first I thought meant that she was a good person, but later it seemed that maybe it referred more to her virginal state. I don't care much about her sexual history, but because she didn't do anything except what she was told by Kalen or councilors or guardians, I felt as though Ethos and Earth were to be saved by her virginity. That bothers me because it makes me feel as though Brianna's entire worth depends on the fact that she hasn't had sex. I like to think that people have more value than that. This may not be what was intended, but it's what I got out of it.

My other complaint is that there was a lot of exposition without a lot of plot, especially in the first half of the book. I understand this is the first in a series, so maybe this will be taken care of in the second book, but I wanted to experience Kalen's charm and the beauty and wonder of Ethos rather than being told about it (if that makes any sense).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morning Star.