Rebecca's Reviews > The Wolf Gift

The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

May 03, 2012

bookshelves: audio-book
Read in February, 2012

I have been having such a hard time with this review. I actually finished The Wolf Gift days ago and have been struggling with how I feel about it. This is Anne Rice. Anne Rice. The woman introduced me to vampires. Honestly who would I be without her? But I digress…Lets talk The Wolf Gift.

Reuben Golding is an early twenties upper class reporter. Reuben is the golden boy in his family, ten years younger than his priest brother, very handsome, he has been going from one thing to the next in life without a care. I liked Reuben but I did have a hard time connecting with him on an everyday level. Come to think of it I had that same problem with all of the characters that had major roles. I don’t know what it’s like to have the bulk of my income inherited to me, this is how the world works in Reuben Golding’s life and people he knows. Yes, these characters work, but they were established to start with. Reuben also falls in love rather quickly. He sees a woman, she shows him affection and bam, he loves her. I’m not saying it’s not possible, but Reuben was with three women in The Wolf Gift and claims to love them all. I do like all the growth that happens in Reuben’s character. He has to go through so much on his own without any guidance that I did connect with him on an emotional level. Who of us have not tried to decide what was the right decision to make?

I did love Anne Rice’s take on the werewolf, it was new. All the history and depth Rice put into her version of the werewolf was amazing and very different from all the urban fantasy I have read. I enjoyed the small amount of time that I got to have with the other werewolves, who are much older than Reuben, and hope that there will be more of them one day. Because even though they all seem to have a lot of power, they also have this fun mischievous glee to them.

Let me warn you The Wolf Gift starts out S L O W, if I had been reading and not listening to it I would have put The Wolf Gift down a few times in between the first four chapters or so. All the descriptive writing is beautiful but there is just a bit too much of it. Ron McLarty was wonderful to listen to. The audio book was the better choice for me on this one.

I really want there to be a sequel to The Wolf Gift! I would like to know what happens next to the characters. I know I haven't given a lot in this review but I don’t want to spoil things if you do pick it up. I will say if I had read instead of listened my rating may have been a 3 instead of a 4. But Ron McLarty really helped to push the flow for me when I would have been bored with over description.

Happy Reading,
Rebecca
www.bendingthespine.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf Gift.