Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)'s Reviews > The Black Sky

The Black Sky by Timothy D. Minneci

bookshelves: 2020, august-2020, read-for-review

When the author approached me with a request to review this book, I pretty readily agreed. Want to know why? He appealed to The 100 fan in me, and apparently that is what it takes. This should surprise no one. But beyond that, I thought the concept was very exciting. And guess what? I was right! It was completely, unequivocally exciting! So let's talk about it now!

What I Loved:

►Like I said, it is wholly thrilling. The action really does not stop. It's high octane, high stakes, high reward. Which, is always a great combo, frankly.

►The world-building was great! One of my favorite things about any post-apoc/dystopian book is when I actually get a good feel for the hows and whys of the world. The author does this wonderfully, and incorporates the world into the story in a way that makes it a plot point. It's another thing I am quite fond of, really. Vagueness and I don't get along, and this world was anything but. The author even mentions what is happening in other places, not just our Manhattan/New England settings.

►I loved Tessa!  Her Octavia Blake-ness is what sold me on the book in the first place, and she delivered without a doubt. She is tough and gritty, but also incredibly compassionate and empathetic and loyal. That is basically my favorite character combo.

►Lots of twists and turns! Obviously I will be intentionally vague here, but there were things that I definitely did not see coming, especially along Bishop's journey!

►Definitely morally gray, and I never knew (nor did the characters) who could be trusted. Don't you just love when a villain isn't obvious? You think you know at the start, but then you'll question yourself. Many, many times. Can anyone in this world be trusted, fully? My guess is no, tbh.

►It's definitely dark! This world isn't cute. It isn't pleasant. There are bits of hope, which is good, but for the most part, it's bleak. People are scraping by to survive, and only the elite are welcomed into Manhattan's walled city. I daresay there is a good deal of current social commentary interspersed here, too.

What I would have liked more of:

►Bishop Connection! This is my only real complaint, honestly. Sometimes weapon talk flew over my head a little, but that is more a "me" problem than a book problem. I just wished that I had a better sense of who Bishop was as a person. Obviously it's clear he'd put his life on the line for the chance of a better future for his wife and himself, and he's clearly a badass, but I do hope to connect more to him in the next book (which I will absolutely be reading).

Bottom Line:  I recommended this book to my dad. I have recommended like, two books ever to my dad because he has incredibly high standards. So there you have it.

Real Bottom Line:  A book full of adventure and survival in a world where no one can be trusted and everyone has an agenda, the characters stand out for their willingness to stop at nothing to not only survive, but thrive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Sky.

March 14, 2020 – Shelved