Maria's Reviews > Magic's Pawn

Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction-fantasy
Recommended to Maria by: Wyatt

It took me a while to get a handle on Forst Reach and then Valdemar. At first I was sure I had strayed into an historical. But once I realized that this is a different world, I was able to concentrate on Vanyel. Lackey does a fantastic job of describing what goes on in a sixteen-year-old's world when no one understands him or listens to him, not atypical of teenagers everywhere. Vanyel's case is even worse than most, since he has a dysfunctional family with unrealistic expectations. Unfortunately, when he lucks into his aunt's world, he finds that his own dreams and expectations are unrealistic as well. The reader hits rock bottom right along with Vanyel. When Tylendel comes to his rescue, a great weight lifts off the reader's shoulders, only to find that Tylendel is going to be sacrificed in a way that could have easily been avoided in order for Vanyel to achieve his potential. The book is full of hurting and done so well that the reader can hardly help but push and shove wishes and thoughts at Vanyel and hope that he survives everything that hits him. Hopefully the next book in the series won't have quite so many anxious moments. I have enough gray hairs from raising my own children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic's Pawn.