Bonnie McDaniel's Reviews > Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk by Delilah S. Dawson

did not like it
bookshelves: read-in-2020, fae, faerie, fantasy, young-adult, graphic-novel, monsters

Bah. I did not like this at all. Yes, it is tremendously dark for a comic (as alluded to and explained by the author's afterword). I am not objecting to the darkness in and of itself, however. I am objecting to the storyline where the main character slowly but surely sacrificed every inch of her humanity, step by step, turning into the thing she claimed to be there to resist, to get back to her world. There were a couple of panels where she seemed to realize what was happening, but she would go on and chop some other Fae's head off (including Warren, who tried his best to tell her what she was doing and got his throat slit for his trouble) and double down. Then, of course, when she did return to her world to confront the Unseelie Queen...she did so by pulling her sister Caroline into Faerie, setting her on the same terrible path. One gets the impression this has happened many times before, which is why that unctuous little ass named Crispin is there to greet the new arrivals, both at the beginning and the end of this volume. And thus the wheel keeps turning, splattered by endless gore and blood. I don't know if there are any subsequent volumes of this comic, but I for one will not be reading them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sparrowhawk.

March 12, 2020 – Started Reading