Have Coffee Need Books's Reviews > The Sea of Lost Girls

The Sea of Lost Girls by Carol Goodman

bookshelves: 2020-arcs, genre-thriller

So many red herrings we must be swimming in The Sea of Lost Girls.

This fantastic book addresses entitlement breeding misbehavior, allowance, and acceptance, making it favorable. At Haywood Academy, generations of young women and girls have been upsetting the norm, causing shifts and fits, leaving them to meet or disappear from the local, and haunting Maiden Stone.

'We make our allegories by choosing what part of the story to remember.'

Haywood Academy and Tess Levine have a troubled past and a challenging future. She's been stitching together tall tales for over two decades, and they are unraveling about her with a fury matched only by her maelstrom of a son Rudy who feels betrayed by all she has keenly kept from him, or attributed to him. Those ever-growing stories taking on monstrous proportions, now tangled with the murder of a local student.

The Sea of Lost Girls is a fabulous dive into the mythos of small-town lore. I loved how Carol Goodman wove classic literature, local legend, social media, gossip, mystery, and psychology to bring this thriller to life. My husband and I read this aloud to one another, and my man is good at seeing outcomes and guessed one particular reveal that made me snack on tacks! Authors, men can see ploys seventeen chapters away.

I love this book because it gives another voice to movements like 'Me Too.' Carol Goodman pulls us into a Women's Studies aspect of the past, looking at how, as women, society has set us aside, and hidden for being 'seduced' by weak men. Or abused for being strong women--and all the other poor excuses used to program men to think that having power means 'over-powering' a female and in this case, leaving a Sea of Lost Girls on and around the grounds of the Haywood Academy.

With thanks to TLC Book Tours, I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary advance copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Lost Girls.

March 13, 2020 – Started Reading