AMythicalBeast's Reviews > Once Burned

May 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: wings-paws-fangs-wands
Read in July, 2012

As a first book in a series, I liked Cat and Bone's 'Halfway to the grave' better. Still, I really like Frankie/Leila as the heroine. Her voice is distinctly different from Cat's, as is her background. She already knows and understands about Vampires and their society before the book begins, so there's a lot less 'discovery' as the story unfolds, but obviously coming into contact with Vlad Tapesh means she learns a lot of things that are pertinent to her and her power and has to decide how that will change her life.
Anyway, I like Leila.
Vlad Tapesh on the other hand (though a deliciously alpha hero) sounded almost like Mencheres did in his book. Old, experienced, ruthless. Of course Vlad has a more obvious sense of humour, but still - he doesn't stand out.
I'll read the next book simply because of the last page. Vlad is a mind reader so he knows that Leila is falling in love with him and he's already made it clear that he will never reciprocate (yeah I know - joke's on him). Also, Leila (after a near death thing) has either permanently or temporarily lost one of her powers (an important one) that made her particularly useful to Vlad.
So now as things stand - how will she deal with this, cause she's made up her mind to win Vlad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.